Wednesday, April 1, 2009

If You Dress Like a Pirate, the Jury is Gonna Think You're a Pirate

Dressing For Court Just got back from Criminal Court. I am amazed at how some people dress for their court appearances. There is something to be said for first impressions. Today, I observed a guy dressed in a T Shirt featuring Tony Montana holding an assault rifle. His co-defendant had a large marijuana leaf t-shirt with the requisite marijuana leaf gold medallion. A friendly word of advice. If you are appearing in criminal court on a drug or gun charge, maybe you should opt out of those types of style choices. There on a DUI? Keep the Budwieser shirt at home. If you look like a pirate, the jury is going to think you're a pirate. With that said, I think the prosecutor may have assumed my client was a Las Vegas magician. When I told him to dress conservatively, I didn't think he would show up wearing a velvet tuxedo jacket with glitter.