Monday, November 21, 2011

Eat at Joes.

Real Estate Agent advertising his wares
As with most work weeks, I spent my morning stuck in traffic on the way to court.  I value the time sitting motionless on the highway.  I utilize it to reflect on my life choices.  (If you are ever stuck on I-84 going into Hartford, you may notice a man in a suit sobbing uncontrollably. Chances are it's me.)  On this particular day, I was parked behind a mini van emblazoned with a law firm's commercial ad and the words "courtesy van."  Apparently this law firm transports clients to and from their office, jail or (I can only assume) the hospital.  It got my gears grinding.  What could my law firm do to compete? 


I wanted to do something different.  My first thought was to follow suit. Maybe I could repaint the family car.  I could plaster my face on it along with a bold fonted inquiry if they had been recently involved in an auto accident.  The ad could demand that they  "call now!"  Of course, my wife would kill me. I also considered getting a car magnet with our firm's logo and phone number.  Then again, that idea didn't work out for me when I ran for city council.  My car magnet sign featured a broom and the words "Let's Clean Up New Britain."   Instead of generating votes, I kept getting asked if my cleaning service was hiring.

The million dollar idea hit me. If this other law firm was going to emulate NASCAR, I could do the same.  In addition to their cars, NASCAR drivers are covered head to toe in advertisements. I thought of the time I spent in front of judges, with my back turned to a gallery full of potential clients.  Why not put an advertisement on the back of my suit jacket.  I could even make a few extra bucks promoting bail bondsmen, real estate agents, even family restaurants. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

use a QR code and look stylish!

Civil Litigation Attorneys said...

All of these ideas looks quite funny to me, I don't think that any of them is going to work for you. But still good to hear that you are still trying for that.

E T. Wright said...

Ermm, just a thought--

If you proceed with the above, practice walking backwards. I wouldn't want to show that to some judges. They might take a rather dim view of that.

I rather like the QR code idea, but down here, that would be considered too casual for the courtroom. It's innovative, though.....

Adrian M. Baron said...

I've gotten some concerned emails from readers. Please rest assured that I was joking. I would never actually put an ad on the back of my suit. Well, 99% sure. lol

Anonymous said...

I know! Put ads on the jacket lining, and then flash as desired!