Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Law Books & Ab Rollers

The majority of the readers of Nutmeg Lawyer tend to be lawyers, law students, and shut ins.  If you fall into one of the first two categories, I would ask that you think of everything you went through to get to where you are in life.  Do you remember the applications, the hours of study, the Socratic method? Do you happen to recall the torment of studying months for the bar exam?  How's your life now?  Is it a little stressful?  Was law practice everything you dreamed it to be?

I say this as I read that "the Situation" from MTV's Jersey Shore stands to make five million dollars this year. z%$#thjdmk6 #$@##$$*(^* -Sorry, that was my head hitting the keyboard.  Take a minute to let that sink in. Let it swirl around in your head like a nice glass of fine wine.  That spray tanned knucklehead is making about the same as the first baseman for the World Champion NY Yankees.  He is making more than the president of the United States ($400,000 a year), the editor of the NY Times ($650,000 a year) and the CEO of Motorola (3.8 Million).  The reality show participant has parlayed his 15 minutes of fame into a mini empire of endorsement deals including an 80-proof vodka made with a protein called Casein.  (The protein allegedly helps partygoers maintain a lean body mass while getting drunk.  You know,  a healthy vodka.)

So what am I doing wrong?  Granted my "abs" resemble a keg more than a six pack.  And I admit, with a busy law practice I haven't seen the sun for some time.  Unfortunately, spray on tans would mess up my dress shirts.  Now don't get me wrong.  Being a lawyer can be a lucrative profession.  But there is a lot of stress filled hours involved in moving on up to that deluxe apartment in the sky. 

Of course, we find solace in the fact that we do not practice law for financial gain.  We do it to help people, and to defend the constitution...... and maybe a nice BMW.   Now where is my ab roller?

No comments: