Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Superman and the Return Date of Doom

Law and the Multiverse.
Thanks to a tweet (or is it toot?) from Connecticut's employment law guru Attorney Daniel Schwartz, I stumbled across a great new legal blog called Law and the Multiverse.   I have since learned the secret identities of the authors.  They appear to be mild mannered Indiana Attorney Ryan Davidson and Missouri's Attorney James Daily 

(as in Planet perhaps....don't roll your eyes at me.  You know what it's like to go through life named Adrian.  Do you know how many times I have heard the phrase Yo Adrian, I did it for you? Damn Rocky movies.....but I digress).  

The dynamic duo's legal blog explores a variety of hypothetical legal situations and their effects on modern day superheroes.  They ponder questions like "Are mutants a protected class?  Who foots the bill when a hero damages property while fighting a villain?" and "What happens legally when a character comes back from the dead?" The blog has created quite a stir, even receiving a write up in the New York Times.  Posts include "Rico and the Legion of Doom" and "Superhero Privacy Rights."  


Of course, should they ever stray away from the topic of superheroes, I would love to see their take on Workers Compensation rights affecting Storm Troopers stationed on the Death Star, "Captain Kirk and sexual harassment claims" and E.T.'s immigration status.

Superheroes and lawyers have always had a bit of a connection.  Fellow comic book nerds know that the character Daredevil was a lawyer by day who graduated from Columbia Law.  Batman's evil nemesis Two-Face was Gotham's District Attorney Harvey Dent. Even Superman and the Hulk have wound up in court.  

As a recovering comic book aficionado, I send out a note of thanks to the writers of Law and the Multiverse.  I can now finally come clean with my former addiction.   If you happen to know my wife, however, please keep it under your cape.  As far as she knows, I was captain of the High School football team and drove an awesome Camaro.  

May I also suggest the CT employment law blog who, I now observe, has beaten me to the punch.  I also noticed that I had missed the Yale Law exhibit "Superheroes in Court."  The show was scheduled to run only through December 16th at the Yale Law School, Lillian Goldman Law Library.    

No comments: